We are featuring some favorite recipes from members of our Board of Directors and Associate Board! Today we are sharing a recipe for Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato and Spicy Chicken Sausage Pasta from Lauren Drennan
- 1 pound of penne pasta (I used gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¾ pound of spicy chicken sausage links
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, julienned
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- kosher salt
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water well and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat one medium pan over medium high heat with the 2 teaspoons of olive oil and the sausage links. Fry the sausages until crisp and golden on the outside, and cooked through on the inside, about 5 to 6 minutes total. Slice the cooked sausage links and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil and the onions and garlic and sun dried tomatoes and sprinkle with kosher salt. Cook until soft and tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken broth and simmer for another 2 minutes. Transfer all of it to a blender and puree on high until you have a smooth sauce.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan and cook over medium heat. Whisk in the coconut cream until well combined. Season to taste with kosher salt.
- Add the just drained pasta into the pan with the sauce and stir to combine, cooking for another minute or two. Add the sausage and the fresh basil, give it a good stir and serve hot.