Special Children’s Charities/Special Olympics Chicago’s mission is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
SCC/SOC is looking for a Development Intern to work on a variety of event and donor-related communications tasks. The intern will work with the fundraising team to help sustain and expand revenue. The intern will assist in planning and implement effective fundraising initiatives and meeting preparation related to corporations and foundations. These activities are to be conducted in coordination with the Fundraising team. This position provides a student with an opportunity to broaden their understanding of fundraising, as well as nonprofit operations, through hands-on experience.
- Attending community events to promote organizational goals and solicit donations.
- Writing and sending invitations to donors.
- Providing support to program staff for special projects and initiatives.
- Entering and editing data in SCC/SOC database.
- Attending the athletic competitions of our athletes with intellectual disabilities.
- Assisting with general office tasks as necessary.
- Conduct prospect research and complete donor profiles.
- Assist with annual appeals including drafting letters, compiling prospect lists, and mailings – primarily will work on new grass roots campaign.
- Assisting in setting up for and staffing special events.
- Ability to work independently
- Available at least 2 days a week, 14 hours from hours of 9am-4pm (South Loop Chicago)
- Microsoft Office Skills (especially Excel)
- Social Media Experience
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to communicate at all levels with internal/external stakeholders by phone, email and in person.
- A positive attitude with good organizational and people skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Reliable and detail-oriented.
- Access to vehicle or public transportation to get to office and required competitions
This is an unpaid internship that is located at the SCC/SOC office in the South Loop Chicago. This internship offers a $10 per day travel stipend. Your own transportation to the office is required. There are occasional opportunities to attend Special Olympics Chicago events around Chicago transportation is required. If your school allows for an internship credit, Special Olympics Chicago will work with you to provide support for that credit.